Below you will find Powell River-Sunshine Coast local resources, as well as official information sources and websites to access and refer to during the COVID-19 health emergency.
PLEASE ‘bookmark’ this page, and refer back, as updates are made daily.
The Most Important Documents You Can Keep Track of Right Now:
📁 Click Here: COVID-19 Financial Assistance & Support
📁 Click Here: Summary of Government Announcements
(Documents will be updated regularly and may be printed for reference)
B.C. Cases of COVID-19*
⚠️ General Info:
- Total Confirmed Cases: 1066
- New Cases up to Morning of April 1, 2020: 53
- Deceased: 25
- Hospitalized: 142 (across province) with 67 in critical care.
- Fully Recovered: 606
⚠️ Confirmed Cases by Health Authority:
- Vancouver Coastal Health (our Health Authority): 497
- Fraser Health: 367
- Island Health: 72
- Interior Health: 114
- Northern Health: 16
*Information based on BC CDC test results.
📈 B.C. Epidemic Curve and Age Distribution Table – as of March 20, 2020
📈 Latest epidemiological modelling slides – from March 27, 2020 PHO Briefing
- Canada to spend $192 million on developing COVID-19 vaccine.
POWELL RIVER-SUNSHINE COAST RESOURCES
🏘 MLA COMMUNITY OFFICE INFORMATION
- Both constituency offices of MLA Nicholas Simons remain open, but by telephone, email, or virtual appointment only. This helps in our efforts to manage the COVID-19 virus. Please email or call, and leave a message if the line is busy. We would be pleased to hear from you.
→ Powell River Office: 604-485-1249
→ Sechelt Office: 604-741-0792
ℹ️ LOCAL GOVERNMENT WEBSITES
→ Joint Statement from City of Powell River, qathet RD, and Tla’amin Nation: Local Governments ask visitors to avoid travelling to area.
- qathet Regional District (qRD)
- Tla’amin Nation
- The Town of Gibsons
- Sunshine Coast Regional District (SCRD) (Visit here for Emergency Operations Centre Bulletins)
ℹ️ LOCAL NEWSPAPER WEBSITES – to keep up to date with COVID-19 related articles
ℹ️ LOCAL FACEBOOK GROUPS RE: COVID-19
- Flatten the Curve – Sunshine Coast, BC
- Powell River Covid-19 Awareness
- Powell River Mutual Aid – Folks Helping Folks
ℹ️ LOCAL COVID-19 PHYSICIAN TASK FORCE(S)
- 👩⚕️ Sunshine Coast COVID Physician Task Force – Update 12 (March 27, 2020).
- 👨⚕️ Powell River Physician COVID Steering Committee – March 28 Update
DO YOUR PART: SLOWING THE TRANSMISSION OF COVID-19
It continues to be extremely important that everyone works to prevent the spread of this disease. Even if you do not personally feel like you are at risk of getting sick, we must each do our part to protect other, more vulnerable community members. Slowing transmission helps our health care system keep up with the disease.
- 🧼 Wash your hands frequently with soap and water for 20 or more seconds. (Here’s a funny video of a song you can sing while washing your hands!)
- 🧼 Alcohol-based hand sanitizer is good, but soap and water is better!
- 🤧 Sneeze/cough into your elbow.
- ❌ Avoid touching your face.
- 🧍🏼♂️⬅️➡️🧍🏼♀️Maintain 2M distance from others.
- 🏡 🤒 STAY HOME if you are sick – even if it is not COVID-19, you MUST self-isolate for 14 days.
❓Do I need testing?
- Please use the online BC COVID-19 Self Assessment tool: covid19.thrive.health
❓Do I need to stockpile food and supplies?
- Our retail supply-chain providers have assured us they have an abundance of supply and are restocking regularly. There is no need to stockpile. PLEASE treat those in the service industry with respect.
❓Where do I go if I have questions?
If you are looking for medical information about COVID-19:
- Call: 8-1-1* ☎️
If you are looking for non-medical information about COVID-19:
- Call: 1-888-COVID-19* ☎️
- Text: 604-630-0300 📲
- Online: BC CDC
*Translation available in over 100 languages
Official Information Sources
This is a regularly evolving situation, with changes on a day-by-day, and even hour-by-hour basis. Thus, please take note of the following links so that you can stay up to date with the most up-to-date information.
There are regular updates coming from the Ministry of Health and Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry, that include advice for the public. Here’s how you can stay up-to-date on the most recent news:
- Official BC Government COVID-19 Site
- COVID-19 BC Support App and Self-Assessment Tool – available on the App Store and Google Play Store.
- Official BC Government News Releases: BC Government News Releases
- Daily update briefings with Minister of Health Adrian Dix and Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry are live streamed on the BC Government Facebook Page.
- Official Twitter Accounts can often be the fastest way to get the latest information.
→ BC Centre for Disease Control: @CDCofBC
→ BC Government News: @BCGovNews
→ Vancouver Coastal Health: @VCHhealthcare
→ Minister of Health Adrian Dix: @adriandix
→ Health Canada: @GovCanHealth
→ Dr. Theresa Tam, Chief Public Health Officer of Canada: @CPHO_Canada
→ MLA Nicholas Simons: @NicholasSimons
Official Health Information on COVID-19
Be cautious of information you read about the virus online. Stick with reputable sources such as:
And remember: PLEASE STAY HOME 🏡
**Thank you to MLA Bowinn Ma for the template for this page**